Sunday, June 7, 2009

Graduation

Melissa has officially graduated from high school. It seems like such a short time ago we were a young couple just starting a family and the parents who had kids graduating from high school were way old and wrinkled. I am beginning to realize that life happens so fast, I still think I am young but I probably look way old and wrinkled to newly weds. Over half of my family has now finished the high school drama years and are leaving the nest to fly on their own. John Lennon said "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans." When our kids were born we had all these plans and dreams for our family, life was exciting. When they were all small we had no time for ourselves, we just wanted to make it though the day. When they were about to leave they were independent, fun, and challenging, we drove a lot and laughed and worried. When they come home to visit, life could not be more fulfilling.
It has been interesting as we visit with the newly empty nesters who ask us if we planed our family so that we would have these two little ones around to keep us company. I must say I have been surprised how parents struggle when their last child graduates, I'm thinking I will not like it much either.

1 comment:

Kari said...

I still think you look like young newlyweds! Congratulations Melissa, where did she decide to go, Utah or Idaho?